Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Wednesday, May 1, 2013

The I'm just sayin… Top 421 Books of All-Time Countdown (421-397)

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Sergeant Charles R. Long (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on February 12, 1951, near Hoengsong, Korea. His citation reads:

Sgt. Long, a member of Company M, distinguished himself by conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity above and beyond the call of duty in action against an armed enemy of the United Nations. When Company M, in a defensive perimeter on Hill 300, was viciously attacked by a numerically superior hostile force at approximately 0300 hours and ordered to withdraw, Sgt. Long, a forward observer for the mortar platoon, voluntarily remained at his post to provide cover by directing mortar fire on the enemy. Maintaining radio contact with his platoon, Sgt. Long coolly directed accurate mortar fire on the advancing foe. He continued firing his carbine and throwing handgrenades until his position was surrounded and he was mortally wounded. Sgt. Long's inspirational, valorous action halted the onslaught, exacted a heavy toll of enemy casualties, and enabled his company to withdraw, reorganize, counterattack, and regain the hill strongpoint. His unflinching courage and noble self-sacrifice reflect the highest credit on himself and are in keeping with the honored traditions of the military service.

Sergeant Donald Russell Long (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on June 30, 1966, in the Republic of Vietnam. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty. Troops B and C, while conducting a reconnaissance mission along a road were suddenly attacked by a Viet Cong regiment, supported by mortars, recoilless rifles and machine guns, from concealed positions astride the road. Sgt. Long abandoned the relative safety of his armored personnel carrier and braved a withering hail of enemy fire to carry wounded men to evacuation helicopters. As the platoon fought its way forward to resupply advanced elements, Sgt. Long repeatedly exposed himself to enemy fire at point blank range to provide the needed supplies. While assaulting the Viet Cong position, Sgt. Long inspired his comrades by fearlessly standing unprotected to repel the enemy with rifle fire and grenades as they attempted to mount his carrier. When the enemy threatened to overrun a disabled carrier nearby, Sgt. Long again disregarded his own safety to help the severely wounded crew to safety. As he was handing arms to the less seriously wounded and reorganizing them to press the attack, an enemy grenade was hurled onto the carrier deck. Immediately recognizing the imminent danger, he instinctively shouted a warning to the crew and pushed to safety one man who had not heard his warning over the roar of battle. Realizing that these actions would not fully protect the exposed crewmen from the deadly explosion, he threw himself over the grenade to absorb the blast and thereby saved the lives of 8 of his comrades at the expense of his life. Throughout the battle, Sgt. Long's extraordinary heroism, courage and supreme devotion to his men were in the finest tradition of the military service, and reflect great credit upon himself and the U.S. Army.

Second Lieutenant Oscar F. Long (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 30, 1877, At Bear Paw Mountain, Montana. His citation reads:

Having been directed to order a troop of cavalry to advance, and finding both its officers killed, he voluntarily assumed command, and under a heavy fire from the Indians advanced the troop to its proper position.


Just wanted to take a second to thank Uncle George and Aunt Yvonne for coming up to take me and the family out to eat last night for Sonny's birthday! Now... back to losing weight...


The I'm just sayin… Top 421 Books of All-Time Countdown

421 Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul by: Various

420 Knight Hawk by: Pat O'Connell

419 Star Wars: X-Wing Starfighters of Adumar by: Aaron Allston - *You are going to see a good many Star Wars books on this list.  It's a subject I enjoy.  The X-Wing series is one of the best (probably THE best series that doesn't focus on the main characters from the movies)*

418 Dave Barry Is Not Making This Up by: Dave Barry - *Dave Barry is probably the funniest writer on this list.*

417 The Bro Code by: Barney Stinson

416 The Devil's Diaries by: M.J. Weeks

415 West Ashley: Images of America by: Donna Jacobs

414 Star Wars: X-Wing Iron Fist by: Aaron Allston

413 How Did You Do It, Truett?: A Recipe for Success by: Truett Cathy - *Mr. Cathy gave me this book when I graduated from CSU with my MBA*

412 I Like It Better When You're Funny: Working In Television And Other Precarious Adventures by: Charles Grodin

411 To Hate Like This Is to Stay Happy Forever: A Thoroughly Obsessive, Intermittently Uplifting, and Occasionally Unbiased Account of the Duke-North Carolina Basketball Rivalry by: Will Blythe - *This isn't a bad book, but the writer is a UNC grad, so take it for what it is.*

410 Memories of Robert E. Lee by: A.L. Long - *There's also a good chance you'll see a few Civil War books on here.*

409 The Secret Supper by: Javier Sierra

408 The Inner Circle by: T.C. Boyle

407 Star Wars: Darth Maul- Shadow Hunter by: Michael Reaves

406 The Sum of All Fears by: Tom Clancy

405 Coach: Lessons on the Game of Life by: Michael Lewis

404 James Island, South Carolina: Images of America Series by: Carolyn Bonstelle

403 VooDoo River by: Robert Crais - *I believe there will be some more books on here by Robert Crais.  The reason there won't be even more than that is because I haven't had a chance to read all of the books in this series yet.  This series deals with a detective (Elvis Cole) who I like to think reminds me of me if I were older and could do all the things he can do.  His partner at the detective agency is Joe Pike (who reminds me of Sonny in that he doesn't say much... that's about the only thing they have in common, yet I still picture Sonny as playing the role of Joe were this to be a movie).*

402 Freedom's Forge by: Arthur Herman - *This book could probably be higher on the list but I was reading it while making the list, so it was hard to judge.  This is a book DG recommended to me... When DG tells me about a book, I read it.  He hasn't failed me yet.*

401 Star Wars: X-Wing Wraith Squadron by: Aaron Allston

400 Catcher In The Wry: Outrageous but True Stories of Baseball by: Bob Uecker

399 A Brief History of James Island: Jewel of the Sea Islands by: Douglas Bostick

398 Harrison Ford: The Films by: Brad Duke

397 The Politically Correct Guide to American History by: Edward Moser

No comments:

Post a Comment